Online Collaborative Project Management tools for SaaS implementation projects
SaaS tools are easy to access for all team members from the beginning of the implementation project. As they are deployed on the Cloud they can be accessed and shared with all members who will be part of the implementation project. Choosing the right Project Management tool can speed the project timelines, avoid reworks and ensure project deliverables meet initial requirements.
As SaaS solutions are frequently implemented based on Agile project methodologies it is recommended to use Collaborative Project Management tools. Agile concept focuses on project outcomes which are improved iteratively and requires fast and efficient communications when planning and tasks are reviewed.
Collaborative PM tools
There are many Collaborative Project Management tools on the market. It is important to check for some basic features:
- All PM data for project planning must be accessible and editable online including the Gantt chart view
- Personal Project Dashboard with summary of tasks assigned to each individual team member
- Project settings must include access customizations to filter relevant data and tasks for each Team members
- Notes, comments and documentations should be available on the task level
- Tasks should be assigned to virtual resources during early planning phase and must be easily assigned when team members are on boarded
- Billing rules can be defined and time sheets can be exported easily in common formats (CSV, XML…)
- Reporting capabilities with integrated communication features for team members and external stakeholders
Some Collaborative PM tools
In 2014, more firms will move to cloud-based project management tools to support scheduling and collaboration. Innovative tools like LiquidPlanner, AtTask, ProjectManager.com, Wrike, and Gantter have useful project scheduling tools that are direct competitors with Microsoft Project. In 2013, Microsoft’s Project Online with Office 365 also introduced improved web-based scheduling with its flagship product. LiquidPlanner and AtTask have improved their project scheduling features to provide different ways to develop and manage a project schedule collaboratively.
Innovative project scheduling with LiquidPlanner
LiquidPlanner has very innovative features to plan and track project tasks. Most PM tools use start- and end-dates to plan activities and tasks. LiquidPlanner uses Effort Based Estimates combined with “Deadline” and “Delay until” dates and builds the project plan for you. Effort Based Estimates is assessed with a minimum and maximum duration (in minutes, hours or days) respectively the “Best case” and the “Worst case”. You can also determine the “Daily limit” in hours per day to plan your tasks more precisely.
LiquidPlanner is then planning Expected Start- and End-dates for you.
Here is how the task bars are displayed:
The “Finish [E]” is the earliest end-date of the task calculated by LiquidPlanner.
The below screen shows the work Effort Estimation with “Best case” and “Worst case” estimates:
Want to see how the benefits of estimating in ranges and integrating risks easily?
See this video on Liquidplanner site:
Or use this link: